Revealing the key decisions from the International Committee meeting in the US, November 2017.
The International committee for ISO/IEC 20000 meets twice per year in May and November. The recent meeting in USA in November 2017 took some key decisions about ISO/IEC 20000 as listed below.
The revision process continues and is on track for publication for part 1 in Q4 2018.
The revision of part 2 continues and will now move to CD (Committee Draft) stage. It is likely to be published a few months after part 1.
The revision of part 3 continues and will now move to CD (Committee Draft) stage. It is likely to be published a few months after part 1.
This will be updated starting in mid-2018.
- Published. It works with both the current 2011 edition and the revised edition of ISO/IEC 20000-1 due out next year. No need to update.
This document will contain all of the terms and definitions for the ISO20000 series – they will be removed from part 1. It also contains an explanation of the key concepts of the ISO20000 series, guidance on the purpose of each part and also guidance on related standards such as ISO 9001 and ISO/IEC 27001.
This will progress to DIS (Draft international standard) and it will be published before or at the same time as part 1.
A revision is on hold due to the update to ITIL announced by Axelos. Until dates are known for this, no work will be done on updating part 11.
A revision will start in mid-2018.
Explanation of the similarities and differences between ISO/IEC 20000-1:2011 and the COBIT model including a high-level mapping.
It has been agreed that development of this guidance will wait until the revised part 1 is published. It is estimated that publication will therefore be in 2019/2020.
- Part 4 – process reference model: There are ongoing discussions about the usage of this document and whether it should be updated or should be part of the 20000 series.
- ISO/IEC 90006 – mapping to ISO 9001:2008: Discussions are ongoing about the usage of this document and a possible change to make it into an ISO20000 part about integration between 20000-1 and 9001.
- ISO/IEC 27013 – integration of ISO/IEC 27001 and ISO/IEC 20000-1: The ISO committee that owns the 27000 series (SC27) has agreed to put forward a resolution to start the update of this document in mid-2018 to align it with the revised ISO/IEC 20000-1.
- Discussions are ongoing about producing white papers/ISO guides about the use of ISO/IEC 20000-1 with new technologies and methods e.g. SIAM, Devops, Cloud, Internet of Things.
The ISO20000 series is growing and being revised. Please see past blogs about the likely revisions for part 1. If you are already certified or starting to implement ISO20000 part 1, do not worry, the new edition of part 1 is not due out until late 2018. It is likely that there will be a 2-year transition period following the revision of part 1.
Lynda Cooper, an independent consultant and trainer, is one of the first people in the world to hold the ITIL Master qualification. Lynda chairs the BSI committee for IT service management (ITSM). Lynda sits on various ISO/IEC committees representing the UK and is the project editor for ISO/IEC 20000-1.